Feel free to contact me here (without the slashes, of course.):
webmaster// @ //diffracted.com
Over the past few weeks since my last update, there’s been a lot of behind-the-scenes-type progress. Storyboards, rigs, backgrounds, and various administrative planning documentation are now being put together into rough layouts, which also serve as blocked animation due to the way I’ve created things.
And here are some quick tests from this stage One has a much more complete scene (still quite a few odds and ends to change/fix, particularly shadows and textures).
I have discovered that once you start piling on the shading (done via “tone” modules in Toon Boom), render time increases dramatically. The six second shot with all the rain and such took about 45 minutes to render, which was a big surprise.
Time for a break from thesis posts!
This song has been sitting on the backburner since sometime in the Spring, but I finally got around to recording the final tracks this week.
Contrary to all of my previous pieces, I’ve finally started to discover how to get a thick and clear sound in my mix. It all boils down to warmer guitar sounds and notching the bass, guitar, and low drums into place. I’m still not quite where I want in terms of making it all mix together, but this is a huge improvement.
This piece was also a much simpler one to put together. It’s pretty “live” in the sense of having minimal post-instrumentation and effects tacked on. The most elaborate thing I’ve got going on here is the vocal overlays. It was mostly double-tracked guitars simply run through a Blackstar DIST-X pedal into my amp, which was dual miked, center and edge (Triple mics made it muddy). The bass is run direct, no dual miking, into Amplitube’s Fender Bassman 300 PRO modeler. The solo was direct from the DIST-X pedal, and vocals had a little delay and compression, if memory serves. Drums, as before, were Toontrack’s Drumkit from Hell. I’ve just picked up a new EZX, though, so this drum tone may change for my next song, whatever it may be.
Also of note, I managed to put together a somewhat acceptable guitar solo with just a few splices to make up for my lead-guitar-ineptitude. I suppose my skill is slowly improving- previous solos tended to have a splice every 4 measures or so (sometimes more!).
A huge advantage to ToonBoom’s node-based system is that I can quickly copy rigs across into new rigs, which is extremely handy when two rigs are very similar.
I have a few changes to make on this one still, but it was pretty painless and fast to transfer over.